Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Unfortunate?

Yesterday when I was on my way home, an old lady sat beside me. She was about 70ish and decent-looking. She talked to me and told me why the bus had stopped in front of the Census building. She told me that the conductor missed to board our bus in Buendia. I laughed and I told her: "Sa lahat naman ng maiiwan nung Driver, 'yun pa pong kunduktor!" She laughed after I said that. When we reached Baclaran, she told me that she came from the US Embassy and that she was processing some papers for her pension. I asked her if where she came from and told me that she was from San Fernando. I was surprised, not by the fact that an old lady is travelling by herself, but the fact that she's going the wrong way (she was going to SM Southmall). I asked her why she's going to SM. And her long story begins.

She went to the US Embassy this morning because she had an appointment by 8:45 am. After paying $200 of processing fee, she was ready to go back to San Fernando. But when she was walking, some guy placed his arm on her shoulder and greeted her: "Hi Lola!" She told me that she thought that this guy knew her. Being an old lady, and not seeing the danger, she agreed to walk with the strange-guy. When they reached the church (I think it's infront of Remedios), the guy took out a knife and ask the old lady to give him everything that she had at the moment. She can't do anything but to give the guy her wallet (containing 5, 300 pesos and ATM Card) and her cellphone. She even begged the thief to give her at least 300 pesos for her to buy some food and for transportation fare back to San Fernando. But the thief refused and told her: "Sorry lola, pero kailangan ko din po kasi ng pera eh." What a jerk! Lola just told me: "Hindi naman ako ang kakarmahin, kung hindi siya."

I really don't know what happened to her after I got down at RFC. She was going to Southmall to try her luck. She has no close-relatives here in the Metro, and she was looking for her far-far cousin there. I asked her if she knew her number, so I could text or call that person, but alas, being old and her cellphone being lost. Hay. I just gave her my last 20-buck. I wanted to offer more but that was the last money I got at the moment. I caught a glimpse of her in the window, waving. I felt very, very bad for her.

After posting this entry, please, dear readers, pag-pray natin si Lola. Na sana, nakita niya yung person na dapat niyang puntahan at sana nakauwi siya sa San Fernando na unharmed.

Isipin niyo na lang, paano kung kayo 'yun? Or worse, to your family members?

Hay. That's the sad truth of life. Hay.....

No comments: