Monday, June 19, 2006

Five-star doctor

Here's what I wrote for my Family and Community med.. :)


"What is a FIVE-STAR doctor?"



Let me first share to you a story.

During my recent visit in the province, my mother had an accident. To elaborate, she was stung in the hand by a wasp. We were all hopeless at that time because it was already 10 pm and we were far from "civilization" (barrio setting - few houses were built around that area). My mom has a low tolerance on pain so she demanded to be rushed to the hospital immediately. So we tried the nearest district hospital in the hope that my mother's condition be alleviated. Good thing there were people who generously assisted us (there were 2 nurses who attended to my mother). But what was remarkable, was the doctor who diagnosed my mom. He was alert and attentive even if his sleep was interrupted. He did not show any signs of disgust nor boredom. He listened and treated the case with great importance. He was such in a good mood and I really felt that he knew what he was doing. That man (I didn't have the chance to know his name), that doctor, was there even if the hospital can't offer a good compensation for his efforts. After that incident, something hit me. I realize that I want to be like that doctor.

For me, he was the epitome of a 5-star doctor.

So what are the characteristics of a 5-star doctor?

First and foremost, a 5-star doctor should be willing to serve. He should treat every case with importance even if it was as simple as a bee sting. He should deal with every patient tactfully and equally regardless of ethnicity or economic standing.

Second, he should have an idea of what he's doing. Meaning, he should be knowledgeable and equipped with the right skills in curing people. This is important because the patient's life depends on the decision of the doctor. As the famous saying goes: "There's no room for mistakes."

Last but not the least, a 5-star doctor should be flexible. Regardless of what time it is, a doctor should always be alert and "ready for action." A doctor should always remember that the people need him 24/7.

Is it possible to achieve these standards?

The answer is yes. I believe in the saying that everything is possible when you put your mind and soul to something. I think that if I set myself in achieving the mentioned qualities then probably, someday I could be a 5-star doctor.

Then how can I be one?

Of course, it is important to primarily accept the challenge of being a doctor. It is a given fact that one should endure a lot of sacrifices before achieving the title "Dr." So upon embracing this career path, he should develop a constant hunger for knowledge. Mediocrity is not welcome in this profession, so one should strive to be the best. However, one should also consider his health while achieving this feat. All in all, a 5-star doctor should be a well-rounded individual: One that is willing to help and at the same time, considering his own well-being.

No comments: